Nearly half of American adults will end up with painful knee arthritis, and that’s a staggering number. Unfortunately, knee arthritis is a leading cause of disability, causing pain, stiffness, and limited mobility. Knee replacement surgery — also called arthroplasty — offers a solution that can relieve pain and restore function to get patients back on their feet to a normal, active lifestyle.
Patients considering knee replacement surgery often ask how long it’ll take to recover. On average, it takes about six months to recover fully, but some patients find that it could take up to a year to return to more physically demanding activities fully.
Tips for Speeding Up Recovery After Knee Surgery
The good news is that patients can take measures to speed up their recovery. A few tips to speed up recovery include:
- Tip #1 – Manage the Pain – Make sure you accurately describe the pain you’re experiencing to your physician. Is it burning, sharp, tingling, achy? Be honest about how much pain you have. Some people don’t want to complain, and others don’t like taking medicines. However, remember that effective pain management won’t just reduce pain but also speed up recovery.
- Tip #2 – Get Walking – Start walking regularly as soon as your doctor says you can. Walking will help prevent complications, and it boosts circulation, helping you heal faster. Expect to use a walker for the first couple of weeks, but you’ll soon be able to walk alone.
- Tip #3 – Physical Therapy – Physical therapy is essential for recovery after a knee replacement. Learning the right exercises to rehabilitate your knee and the surrounding muscles after surgery is critical. You can do exercises with a therapist and then do them at home, too.
- Tip #4 – Exercise – Doing safe physical activity once your doctor allows it will help strengthen your muscles. Remember, exercising shouldn’t cause you pain. While exercise is great, avoid pushing too hard. You don’t want to injure yourself and slow your recovery.
- Tip #5 – Adequate Rest – Rest is just as crucial to recovery as walking and exercising. After surgery, apply ice and keep your leg elevated. Proper rest will help you get back to an active lifestyle faster.
Knee Replacement is Life Changing
A knee replacement has the potential to change your life completely. Instead of facing disability caused by knee pain and limited mobility, you can return to an active lifestyle after a knee replacement. Many patients report that a knee replacement has completely changed their lives.
Prime Surgical Suites offers outpatient knee replacement and many other outpatient procedures. We use the very latest in advanced medical technology to care for patients and provide them with superior recovery results. Outpatient knee replacement procedures are performed in our state-of-the-art surgical facility that offers the best in patient safety and comfort. From an inviting lobby to advanced operating rooms combined with cutting-edge technology, patients enjoy the highest standards of care along with a medical team that’s caring and trustworthy.
At Prime Surgical Suites, we provide state-of-the-art, cost-effective musculoskeletal surgical care in a convenient and comfortable outpatient setting for patients of all ages. Located in RiverCrest Medical Park, we are the region's first outpatient center focused exclusively on orthopedics. Our physician-led center will help restore your active lifestyle and well-being with compassion and orthopedic excellence.